Life on the Farm in Kansas
Kansas is home to about 1,000 pig farms providing you with the bacon, pork chops and the bbq pork that we all love. Those farms are spread over much of the state with the majority of production in the northeast, southeast and southwest corners.
Kansas is the number 10 state in hog and pig inventory producing about 2.8 percent of the nation’s total. In 2017, Kansas pig farmers sold over 3.2 million market hogs, feeder pigs and breeding pigs with a gross market value of over $467 million. These hogs produced over 600,000,000 pounds of pork which helps feed millions of people in the U.S. and abroad through exports. That's roughly about the same weight as 6,250 full semi trucks!
How does that impact you? It's simple. Kansas farms keep rural America afloat and your pork is produced locally in the Midwest.
At January 2018 prices, the pork industry will spend over $162,000,000 on more than 38 million bushes of Kansas grains, including corn, sorghum and soybeans.
That is important to all of us because almost every truck load of grain sold will be from a local Kansas or Midwest farm, supporting our local communities.
Our farmers could not farm without our local communites. Kansas pig farms require a number of goods and services to farm. Below is a list of industries that support Kansas pig farms and farmers.
- Feed suppliers - grain and nutritional supplements.
- Construction - includes new building and maintenance.
- Labor - as with any business, growth means increased labor needs.
- Supplies - pork producers utilize Main Street businesses for a vast array of items ranging from veterinary supplies to office supplies.
- Equipment - pork producers utilize specialty equipment for many tasks including nutrient management.
- Utilities - gas, propane and electric.
- Trucking - producers utilize trucking to bring grain to the farm as well as hauling hogs to market.
- Services - pork producers utilize many services along Main Street including financial, medical, accounting, legal, engineering, and veterinary.
Read more Tips!