Key Nutrients in PorkFebruary 1, 2024
Easy Sausage GumboFebruary 9, 2024
Air-fryer Italian Subs combine juicy Italian sausages, toasted sub rolls, melted cheese, and tangy marinara sauce to create a satisfying meal that’s quick and easy to make.
Air Fryer Italian Subs Recipe
Are you running short on time and weeknight dinner ideas?
Pull your air fryer out of the corner where it’s hiding and taking up counter space, and transform Italian sausages into a protein-packed main dish.
Italian subs can be created in less than 30 minutes using the air fryer, so you won’t need to wait for your oven to heat the whole kitchen.
Our recipe has quick and simple steps, making it an excellent meal idea for teens learning to make dinner and gaining confidence in the kitchen.
Grab a package of Italian sausage brats, buns, peppers, onions, cheese, and that half-used jar of marinara sauce in the refrigerator, and create some air fryer magic!
- Italian sausages
- marinara sauce
- bell peppers (red and green)
- mozzarella cheese
- spices: oregano, red pepper flakes, parsley
- brat buns
- Use your favorite style of hoagies or hotdog buns.
- For additional toppings, try pickled banana peppers rings.
- Have leftover cooked brats? Reheat the brat and follow the remaining steps.
How to make Italian Subs in the air fryer
Preheat air fryer to 320 degrees F.
Slice bell peppers and onions into long, thin strips.
Add peppers and onions into the basket or tray of air fryer, cook at 320 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process toss/stir.
Remove peppers and onions from air fryer and set aside on a plate.
Next up, place Italian Sausages in the air fryer in a single layer. Make sure to leave room on all sides to allow for proper air flow.
Air fry the sausages at 370 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process.
All air fryers cook differently, if the sausages seem to be browning quickly at the halfway point reduce the temperature to 340 degrees F.
When done let the sausages set and drip for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the air fryer.
Slice open the Italian sub rolls or brat buns and spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce on the inside of the bun.
Place a cooked Italian Sausage on top of the marinara sauce and top with cooked peppers and onions.
Give a hefty sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and additional marinara sauce.
Cook at 350 degrees F in the air fryer for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. For additional spice garnish with dried oregano, parsley and red pepper flakes.
Can you make subs in the air fryer?
Yes! The most important step is to ensure your protein, the Italian Sausages in this recipe, is thoroughly cooked before placing it into the hoagie bread or bun.
You can have subs ready for the whole family in a few speedy steps and less than 30 minutes.
How long should I air fry my sub?
Depending on the size of your air fryer and the number of subs in the unit, the final melting of the cheese will take 2 to 3 minutes.
It is extremely important to ensure all ingredients are cooked to a food-safe temperature before the final step of topping and toasting the cheese.
For proper temperatures and timing, reference our Italian Sausage in the Air Fryer recipe.
Other recipes to try
Air Fryer Country Style Ribs are flavor-packed air fryer boneless country style ribs with a sweet and savory bbq sauce that is ready in a fraction of the regular cooking time.
Air Fryer Italian Subs
- Air Fryer
- 5 Italian sausages sweet, mild, or spicy
- 10 tbsp Marinara sauce
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Onion
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Dried oregano to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Parsley finely, diced, just enough for garnish
- 5 Brat buns
- Preheat air fryer to 320℉.
- Slice bell peppers and onions into long, thin strips.
- Add peppers and onions into the basket or tray of air fryer, cook at 320℉ for 10 to 12 minutes. Halfway through toss/stir.
- Remove peppers and onions from the air fryer and set aside.
- Next up, place Italian sausages in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Air fry the sausages at 370℉ for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process.
- Slice open the buns, spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce on the inside.
- Place a cooked Italian sausage on top of the marinara sauce, top with cooked peppers and onions.
- Give a hefty sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and additional marinara sauce.
- Cook at 350℉ in the air fryer for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with dried oregano, parsley and red pepper flakes.