Italian Sausage in Air FryerDecember 11, 2023
Easy Pork PozoleJanuary 9, 2024
This easy Stovetop Sausage and Rice Casserole combines perfectly seasoned sausage with tender rice, creating a deliciously convenient meal that will become a family favorite in no time.
It’s protein-packed and ready in about 30 minutes.
Sausage and Rice Casserole Recipe
One dish meals can be the answer to the daily woes of making dinner.
This easy Italian sausage and rice casserole uses the speed of the air fryer to cook sausage and a saute pan to do the rest.
Together this team helps put a protein-packed and nutritious dinner on the table under an hour.
Not only does this recipe come together in under an hour, but it also includes a colorful variety of vegetables.
It feels slightly sneaky to put a nutritious meal together (including veggies) that the whole family will enjoy with so few steps.
We all know that for a family meal to receive two thumbs up, it has to be quick, created with ingredients on hand, and easy to clean up. This recipe checks all the boxes.
It should receive extra credit for how easy it is to customize the meal with adjusting the variety of sausage or color of peppers used to fit your family.
Give Italian Sausage and Rice Casserole a try tonight and take the stress out of making dinner!
- Italian sausage links
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- chicken broth
- cream of celery soup
- instant rice
- sliced almonds
- fresh parsley
- spices: red pepper flakes, dried basil, salt, black pepper
Sausage and Rice Recipe Tips
- Don’t have the cream of celery soup? Substitute with cream of chicken or mushroom.
- Regular or long-grain rice will need additional cooking time.
- Try a variety of flavored sausages to pep up the recipe.
How to make Sausage and Rice Casserole
Place your Italian sausages in the air fryer, a frying pan, or the oven to cook them fully.
Let the meat rest and drip for 1 to 2 minutes.
As the sausage cools, heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Add peppers, celery, onion, and garlic.
Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
Next, stir in basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper until blended.
Slice cooked Italian sausage into bite sized pieces and fold into the vegetable mix on low-medium heat.
In a separate bowl whisk together cream of celery soup and chicken broth until smooth.
Pour soup mixture and rice into the vegetable/sausage mix and stir well.
Bring the concoction to a boil and stir. Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
Sprinkle with almonds and fresh parsley; serve and enjoy.
Does rice need to be cooked before adding to casserole?
It depends on the recipe.
This Italian sausage and rice casserole recipe cooks the rice in the pan as it goes. No need to cook beforehand.
How to serve sausages for dinner?
We love an easy sausage dinner, no matter the type!
Stovetop Sausage and Rice Casserole
- Air Fryer
- 5 Italian sausage links or brats
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 ½ cups celery finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper cored and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz. can) cream of celery soup
- 1 cup instant rice
- ¼ cup almonds sliced
- Fresh parsley as garnish
- Preheat air fryer.
- Place the sausages in air fryer basket or tray. Lay the sausages in a single layer, leaving room on all sides.
- Air fry the sausages at 370 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes, flip halfway through cooking process.
- Remove sausages from the air fryer and set them aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pan. Add the peppers, celery, onion, and garlic.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Slice cooked Italian sausage into bite sized pieces, then fold into the vegetable mix on low/medium heat.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the cream of celery soup and chicken broth until smooth.
- Pour soup mixture and rice into the vegetable/sausage mix and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, stir, and cover.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and fresh parsley.